Monday, December 6, 2010

Baseball Winter Meetings

Unfortunately, I am not at the Baseball Winter Meetings in Orlando this week. Instead, I'm sitting in my office at Coveleski Stadium watching the snow fall. I'm also insanely jealous of everyone who is in Orlando.

The Baseball Winter Meetings are a time for many front office personnel in both the majors and minors to get together and well, have meetings. Various teams have meetings for all of their employees, there are sessions for individual job functions (media relations sessions, gm sessions, etc.), and many awards are handed out to organizations.

However, my favorite part of the Winter Meetings when I've been there has been the common area in the lobby of whatever hotel is hosting the event. It's not unusual to see a notable reporter such as Jayson Stark or Peter Gammons chatting up a MLB GM or even a player as you walk from one end of the hotel to the other.

The Winter Meetings also will be where many trades and free agent signings happen (or if they don't happen there, you can bet the conversations started in Orlando). I've told you this before, but the best place to follow all the rumors is http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/. They'll be working overtime this week, and it's an interesting collection of stories and links.

I'm not going to post all the rumors I read or see, but if anything becomes official from the Diamondbacks, I will let you know on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment