Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What a game!

I realize we are in the middle of college basketball's postseason (and trust me, I love March Madness as much as anyone), but did you catch that World Baseball Classic game last night between the USA and Puerto Rico? Down by two in the bottom of the ninth, the USA scores three times to walk-off with the win and advance to the semifinals. David Wright was the hero for the USA, going 3-for-4 including the game winning two-RBI single in the bottom of the ninth.

FYI...Former Silver Hawk outfielder Gerardo Parra is on the Venezuelan team, but isn't playing very much. He's 0-for-5 in the Classic, with one stolen base. Parra is a guy that I'd love to see do well. When he was in the Midwest League in 2007, he absolutely owned the Dayton Dragons (the team I was broadcasting for at the time). Come to think of it, I'm sure he owned a lot of teams in the league that year. Parra hit .320 for the year, then hit .301 in high-A to start the '08 season, and finished up in double-A hitting .275.

It'll be interesting to see where the D-Backs start Parra in '09. I'd like to see him make the jump to triple-A, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in double-A for a month or two. Baseball America still has Parra rated as the #2 prospect in the Diamondbacks system, behind '08 Silver Hawks pitcher Jarrod Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment