Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Diamondbacks Coaching News

Rico Brogna has been named the manager of the double-A squad in Mobile. I think this is a great hire. I interviewed Rico during the season and he seemed very knowledgeable and certainly gave me the impression that he wanted to do more coaching as opposed to the coordinator role he was in at the time.

No news yet on the Silver Hawks staff for next year. Obviously, when we get word from the Diamondbacks, it will be posted here and on http://www.silverhawks.com/.

Also, the big league club has added a few coaches, including former Diamondbacks star Matt Williams. You can read that story here.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting note in the Matt Williams story that Willimas is a minority owner of the team. I haven't done any research, but I don't know of any other big leauge coach that has an ownership interest in his team.

    Off the top of my head, the only other one I can think of is Ted Turner's one day term as manager of the Braves.

    Outside of baseball, I'm pretty sure Wayne Gretzky was part owner of the Coyotes when he was coach there. Must be a Phoenix thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Pete. Someone in the comments section thought that might not be good for AJ Hinch. If a minority owner (a superior to the manager) is also the first base coach (a subordinate to the manager), doesn't that get a little tricky?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should clarify...someone in the comments section of the original article had those thoughts.

    ReplyDelete