Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hall of Fame Ballot

Given that I'm not a sportswriter, I don't have a vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame.  To be completely honest, I'm glad that I don't have a vote because with the steroid era players reaching the ballot, it's getting harder and harder to decide who should be in the Hall of Fame.  The official announcement is today at 2 PM.

However, what I do have is a group of friends that debate the Hall of Fame through email every year when the ballot is released.  I typically start the email exchange, remind everyone that they can vote for up to 10 people (per the Hall's rules), and then list my ballot.  In some places, I feel that it is necessary to explain my vote.  In others, a simple "No" is enough. 

For the first time ever, I voted for the maximum number of 10 people.  My ballot is below in alphabetical order with some comments (tell me who you would vote for in the comments)

Roberto Alomar - YES. Although I really don't like him, he was one of the greatest second basemen of all time.

Carlos Baerga - NO.

Jeff Bagwell - YES. He was the best player on that team for the better part of a decade, and arguably in the franchise's history.

Harold Baines - YES. Although I'm wishy washy on him. I change my mind on him yearly (although I did go back and look, and I said yes last year as well).

Bert Blyleven - YES. Great pitcher on some bad teams. It's time to put him in.

Bret Boone - NO. I loved the guy when he was with the Reds, but no way should he be in the HOF.

Kevin Brown - NO. Good pitcher, not good enough for Hall of Fame.

John Franco - NO. But he was really good.

Juan Gonzalez - NO. Although I could be swayed in favor of this two-time MVP.

Marquis Grissom - NO.

Lenny Harris - NO. If there was a pinch hitting Hall of Fame, he'd be first ballot.

Bobby Higginson - NO.

Charles Johnson - NO.

Barry Larkin - YES. He was better offensively than all the shortstops currently in the Hall. His defense was outstanding too. And I'm biased as a Reds fan.

Al Leiter - NO.

Edgar Martinez - NO. Although I had him as a yes, and realized I reached 10 people, so he's my 11th or 12th vote and had to get changed to a no.

Tino Martinez - NO.

Don Mattingly - NO. Still can't pull the trigger on him.

Fred McGriff - YES. I voted for him last year, so I don't want to change.

Mark McGwire - YES. He was fascinating to watch. I know he won't get in, but I'll vote for him.

Raul Mondesi - NO.

Jack Morris - NO.  A great pitcher, and even better in the postseason.  That doesn't mean he's a Hall of Famer.

Dale Murphy - NO, although I know many who will disagree.

John Olerud - NO, but I loved the helmet.

Rafael Palmeiro - YES. I don't know what I'm supposed to do about the steroid players, so I'm just going on his stats which are an obvious yes.

Dave Parker - NO.  Although as I said last year, my dad would put him in.

Tim Raines - NO.  I'm starting to read more and more in favor of him though, so maybe next year when I don't already have 10 votes.

Kirk Rueter - NO.

Benito Santiago - NO.

Lee Smith - YES. He was a phenomenal closer.

B.J. Surhoff - NO.

Alan Trammell - YES. But as I said last year, only if Larkin goes in as well.

Larry Walker - NO. Although he probably ranks 11th on my list.

So I voted for all 10 that I'm allowed. Alomar, Bagwell, Baines, Blyleven, Larkin, McGriff, McGwire, Palmeiro, Smith, and Trammell.

I had the most trouble debating the following outfielders/DH's:  Harold Baines, Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmeiro, Larry Walker, Tim Raines, Dale Murphy and Edgar Martinez. Admittedly, I did not do a side-by-side stat comparison and could be talked in or out of certain players.

1 comment:

  1. Dont see how Palmeiro gets left out. 3000 Hits and 500 Hr should be a lock....They really should just open a roiders wing or something. In a couple years when Bonds, Clemens, Piazza etc are elgible it will really get interesting.

    ReplyDelete