Monday, June 21, 2010

More on Van Winkle to All Star Game

I received an email question tonight asking why Tyson Van Winkle went to the all-star game instead of Errol Hollinger.

The short answer: I don't know.

The long answer: When an opening happens on Sunday afternoon when the game is on Tuesday, there is a scramble to find somebody to fill the spot. Sometimes they take someone who is geographically close, sometimes they take the best available player, sometimes they take a player who has nothing else to do for the next couple of days.

Remember, they have to find a replacement in less than 24 hours and many other players have already booked flights or other plans.

I'm not saying Tyson Van Winkle doesn't deserve to go, but Errol Hollinger clearly had better offensive number. Van Winkle is a great defensive catcher and has good at-bats, but he's been slumpling lately.

I have no idea if Hollinger was asked first. I have no idea if another catcher from another team was asked first. All I know is that Tyson Van Winkle will be in Fort Wayne on Tuesday playing for the Eastern Division All-Stars.

I hope this helps.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Owen for taking the time to explain We didnt understand

    ReplyDelete
  2. This had me confused as well, as Tyson has been doing pretty bad lately, hitting something like .097 in his last 10 games.

    ReplyDelete