Monday, July 12, 2010

Stuck in the Elevator

Well, I had an interesting experience earlier today. For the first time in my life, I got stuck in an elevator.

I arrived at Parkview Field, and took the service elevator up to the suite/press box level. I would normally take the stairs, but my experiences at Parkview Field have been that doors are always locked, and this elevator is usually the only way to get upstairs as early as I arrive.

Anyhow, I hit the "2" button and head on up. Everything was running smoothly at first, which is a good thing since I really had to use the restroom. Well, as it turns out, we get to the second floor and the door starts to open. After opening about 3 inches, it just stops, sits there for a minute, and then closes and the elevator does nothing.

After a moment of panic, I hit a different floor button to see if the elevator moves. Nope!

I can hear voices outside, so I bang on the door, but apparently they can't hear me. I ring the bell, but that doesn't attract the attention I was hoping for.

Finally, I ring the emergency call button, and talk to a very nice lady on the other end, telling her that my name is Owen and explaining to her that I was stuck in the elevator. She asks me if I'm stuck in elevator number two, to which I reply that I have no clue since I don't actually work here and don't know what the elevator number is. She says okay and hangs up.

A few minutes later, after starting to sweat and hoping that my bladder will hold out, I hear a voice on the other side of the door saying "Hold on, Owen. We'll get you out." I had never really doubted that I was stuck for good, but it's still reassuring to hear someone say that they'll get me out. It didn't take long at all for him to pry open the door, releasing me to the free world yet again.

All in all, I was actually only in the elevator for about 10 minutes, so it really wasn't that big of a deal. I'm just thrilled to find out that I'm the first person to ever get stuck in a Parkview Field elevator -- at least according to the security people that I spoke with later to unlock the door to the stairs so I didn't have to go back on the elevator.

Personally, I think the TinCaps should offer a ribbon or commemorative plaque of some sort. I'll settle for a free hot dog during the game tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Let that be a lesson to you for the lack of blog reports, we have powers all over the country. Your faithful readers. HaHaHa!

    ReplyDelete