Saturday, December 5, 2009

Daniel Vasquez Suspended 50 Games

Whenever I see the headline "Four Minor Leaguers Suspended", I think about how idiotic it is that people are still getting busted for performance enhancing drugs in baseball. I then click on the link to see what names are listed this time.

Unfortunately today, the name was one that we all know. Daniel Vasquez, relief pitcher for the Silver Hawks in 2009, was suspended 50 games after testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing substance. Vasquez was 4-1 with a 4.57 ERA last season, pitching mostly in relief.

That's all the information I have right now. Sometimes positive tests can be a result of taking a supplement that you didn't know contained the banned ingredient. Then again, sometimes it is a result of doing something you aren't supposed to be doing. I won't judge Vasquez without the facts.

All I know is that he's suspended for the next 50 games, beginning on Opening Day 2010. For a guy who will be 24 when next season starts, has never pitched above low-A, and had an ERA over 4.50 last year, a positive test doesn't bode well for his future in baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment