Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Hall of Fame Ballot

Voting has started for the Baseball Hall of Fame Class of 2010. Each voter of the Baseball Writers Association of America is allowed to vote for up to 10 candidates. They don't have to vote for 10...they don't have to vote for anyone if they don't want to. Also, they don't have to explain their vote, which is very interesting. If you didn't want to vote for Cal Ripken, Jr. a few years ago, that was your choice.

That being said, I sometimes think an explanation is needed in some cases. So although I'm not a member of the BBWAA (nor will I ever be), I thought I'd let you know who I would vote for, and in some cases, why.

I would love for everyone that reads this to comment below and tell me who you would vote for (remember, anywhere from 0-10 votes. Also, it sometimes takes a while for comments to be approved, so if they don't show up immediately, don't worry).

Now, onto my ballot (in alphabetical order):

Roberto Alomar - Yes. I want to say no because it's disgraceful that he spit in the umpire's face a while back. However, he was arguably the best second baseman of his time. That's good enough for me.

Kevin Appier - No. Good pitcher, definitely not HOF material.

Harold Baines - No. I go back and forth on him. I told my friends that I would vote for him the other day in an email, but now I go back the other way. The guy played forever, and accumulated solid stats. I just don't know if he passes the "when you think of this guy, you think Hall of Famer test."

Bert Blyleven - Yes. This guy was a great pitcher. Are we really going to hold it against him that he fell 13 wins shy of 300?

Ellis Burks - No. Good player, not a Hall of Fame player.

Andre Dawson - Yes. Best player at his position for a decade or longer. He could hit and he could run as well as anyone in the game at that time.

Andres Galarraga - No. The Big Cat falls short in my book.

Pat Hentgen - No. Not really close.

Mike Jackson - No. You're kidding, right?

Eric Karros - No. Good hitter. Being a good hitter doesn't put you in the HOF.

Ray Lankford - No. Again, not really close.

Barry Larkin - Yes. Granted I'm biased being a Reds fan, but he won an MVP, won a World Series, was a 12-time All-Star, won 9 Silver Sluggers, was a three time Gold Glover and would have won more had it not been for Ozzie Smith. He also was a main part of transitioning shortstops from all glove and no hit types to the modern day shortstop that does both.

Edgar Martinez - No. I basically feel the same way about him that I do about Baines. I go back and forth. I just can't pull the trigger on him right now.

Don Mattingly - No. Great player, but falls just short on my ballot. If you want to vote him in, that's your call. But again, this is my ballot, and I say no.

Fred McGriff - Yes. If for no other reason than he rocked the Tom Emanski videos.

Mark McGwire - Yes. It's a Hall of Fame, and no one was more famous in the 90s that McGwire. Steroids or not, he should be in the Hall.

Jack Morris - No. One great game does not make someone a Hall of Famer. His numbers are good, but again, I just can't pull the trigger on him.

Dale Murphy - Yes. This is the first time I've ever put a Yes next to his name. What changed? I don't know. I guess I've been convinced of how dominant he was in the early 80's. The overall numbers are still underwhelming, but back-to-back MVPs is hard to argue with.

Dave Parker - Yes. My dad says yes on Parker. I'm more inclined to say no. But I don't argue with my dad about players from before I was born. If he says yes, then I'll go with him.

Tim Raines - No. A lot of people will argue this. That's fine. But again, it's my ballot, I can only vote for 10, and Raines doesn't make the cut this year.

Shane Reynolds - No. No explanation needed.

David Segui - No. Although kudos to him for actually admitting steroid use.

Lee Smith - Yes. He was the all-time leader in saves when he retired. That's good enough for me.

Alan Trammell - Yes. But only if Barry Larkin gets in first (and Davey Concepcion should be added by the veterans committee)

Robin Ventura - No. But I would induct him into the "I Got My Face Pounded In By Nolan Ryan Hall of Fame"

Todd Zeile - No. Good ballplayer, would have loved him on my team, but not in the HOF.

There you have it. My Hall of Fame Ballot. I voted the maximum of 10 people in this year (Alomar, Blyleven, Dawson, Larkin, McGriff, McGwire, Murphy, Parker, Smith, Trammel). Again, I think the beauty of this is that it's my ballot, and I can vote for who I want.

Any arguments? Complaints? Want to submit your own ballot? Click on comments below and tell me who you would vote in. You don't have to go through the whole list with explanations like I did. Just tell me who's in for you!

7 comments:

  1. Larkin, Smith, Crime dog, Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the most part. Bert Blyleven definately had longevity but I never saw him as a dominant pitcher. His longevity helps his numbers but with 287 wins vs 250 losses he was a .500 pitcher and only a 2 time all star. However, there are lesser players in the Hall.

    Don Mattingly would be on my ballot and that does include some bias. He has hall of fame numbers, he does hold several records, a perennial league leader but unfortunately his career was cut short due to a "bad back".

    Otherwise, you done good!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with most of your votes, especially Andre Dawson. I would just swap McGwire out with Raines. 2nd best lead off man of the 80s behind Rickey.

    Charley
    Andre Dawson for the Hall of Fame
    http://www.hawk4thehall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree with the Don Mattingly snub Owen. Granted he's a Yankee (and I SO hate the Yankees) but the man hit .307, won several Silver Sluggers, was an MVP, an All Star at least 5 times, won the Gold Glove more than the fingers on one hand..

    Mattingly deserves to be in WELL before Barry Larkin..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I think that Blyleven doesnt get in....dude played like 30 years and didnt get his 300. I would put in Dawson/Larkin/Mattingly/Mcgwire/Murphy

    Really dont think any of them are getting in though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edgar Martinez really doesn't get enough credit for being one of the best right-handed hitters of all-time. Raines certainly doesn't get enough credit for being the second best leadoff hitter ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alomar, Dawson, Larkin, Mcgriff, Parker, Smith and Trammel

    ReplyDelete