Thursday, May 27, 2010

Getaway Rooms

I've never touched on this subject before, but one of the most important parts of travel is the "Getaway Rooms".

When there is a night game for the last day of a road series, the bus to the stadium will typically leave between 2 and 3 PM. Unfortunately, most hotels won't let everyone stay in their rooms that late, since checkout is usually at 11 AM.

Therefore, you have "getaway rooms". The hotel will allow the team to keep somewhere between 5-7 rooms later than the normal checkout time. Typically, all the coaches will get to keep their room late, and then 3 players rooms turn into getaway rooms as well. All the players will pile into one room, or stack their luggage up and head off to kill time before the bus leaves.

I did have a getaway room in Lansing, so I can't complain that I didn't have one today. But if you ever are curious why I don't post much in the morning or early afternoon on the last day of a road trip, it's usually because I have to get out of my room and spend the day walking aimlessly around town trying to find something to waste 3-4 hours until the bus leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment