Monday, March 28, 2011

A Chat with Hales

After my last blog post on Friday from Arizona, I went down to the hotel restaurant and spent some time with Mark Haley while watching the UK/Ohio State game.  It was mostly just friendly chatter, but a few things that Hales said about the 2011 Silver Hawks are worthy enough to pass along.

As most of you know, Mark is not able to disclose information about who is coming to South Bend yet, because it isn't 100% official.  That being said, he can still talk in general about the team he expects to see, and when you combine that with the information I gathered while in Arizona, you can start piecing the puzzle together.

-Mark is very excited about the defense up the middle (catcher, second, short, center).  From what I have been able to gather, I think we should expect RayWilly Gomez as catcher, Mike Freeman at second, Zach Walters at short, and Keon Broxton in center.  We already know about Broxton, but the others are each considered top prospects in the system, and both Freeman (Clemson) and Walters (San Diego) were drafted out of college, so it should be a formidable double play duo with some experience.

-Hales also said the bullpen has a CHANCE to be dominant.  I stress the word chance because the bullpen situation is still in flux with a week remaining of camp.  However, he likes the arms that he can run out in the late innings, and feels that this could be a real strength of the bullpen.

-He also admitted that the biggest question mark will probably be starting pitching.  That's not a knock on anyone coming to South Bend, but it seems like the rotation might lack that big name that we've grown accustomed to in years past (Parker in '08, Miley in '09, Smith/Brewer/Anderson/Skaggs in '10).  I guess we'll just wait and see who gets assigned here.

I would imagine it will be next weekend (Saturday or Sunday) that I'm notified of the official South Bend roster.  When that happens, it'll be posted on http://www.silverhawks.com/ and I'll link to it here of course.

More later...

5 comments:

  1. I believe JR Bradley and Robby Rowland are support to be in South Bend. Bradin Hagens also mention he might be back, but as a starting pitcher. So there is 3 possibles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that Bradley is still up in the air as to where he will go. I actually did not hear Rowland's name mentioned at all down in Arizona. That being said, Rowland struggled last year in Missoula with a 5.67 ERA, so he could very likely stay back in extended spring training. Hagens is a very real possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things change so fast! I just know when we were out there that is 3 of the names we heard were starters as of now in SB, even though Hagens first start was with the AA team. But I think most of the guys were playing up at least a level. Davidson, Borchering, and Nick were all in AA, but said they'd be in High A, along with soe pitchers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly don't take my word as gospel. I didn't get a lot of info on pitchers while there, but I know that Bradley was one they were still deciding what to do with. I never heard or saw Rowland's name anywhere, so I have no idea what the plans are for him. I think Hagens is likely to come to South Bend as a starter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O I understand, just was adding what I heard while I was there. I'm pretty sure the guys themselves have no clue really. Things can change that fast in baseball, and they don't realize it. Right before Brett was released, he was talking about how he was excited to start the season.

    ReplyDelete