Friday, March 25, 2011

Owen's Spring Training Report - Friday

As sad as this sounds, Friday is the last day of our stay here in Arizona.  I know it's a really short trip (2 and a half days), but when you get free airline vouchers, you go when you can. 

Today was a bit of an interesting day.  After getting a late breakfast at Denny's (GRAND SLAM!), we made our way over towards the Giants complex to check out the minor league game.  Unfortunately, we received word that the minor league teams were mixed up quite a bit, and there wasn't much excitement at the Giants facility.

From there, we decided to move on to the big league game against the White Sox at Camelback Ranch.  As it turns out, the game there was at 7:05 local time instead of 1:05 when we showed up (I won't name names, but someone needs to  read that schedule a bit closer).  At that point, we were really without a Diamondbacks game to attend, so we just drove about 20 more minutes to Goodyear and checked out the Reds against the Padres.  Nice stadium, but not quite as nice as the Diamondbacks facility.

Even though our plans today weren't as we intended, I still wanted to pass along some information about potential future Silver Hawks.  Below are some names that I think we could expect to see in South Bend this year (this is not a complete list nor should it be considered official -- just some of my best guesses):

Catchers - RayWilly Gomez (most likely), Jhoan Pimentel, Tyson Van Winkle, Errol Hollinger, Jae Yun Kim,
First Base - Yazy Arbelo, Jimmy Comerota
Second Base - Mike Freeman
Shortstop - Zach Walters
Third Base - Matt Helm, Raoul Torrez
Outfield - Keon Broxton, Bobby Stone, Ryan Lapensee, Roberto Rodriguez, Chris Jarrett (although he's hitting his way into Visalia from what I hear)

Pitchers - Derek Eitel, Cody Wheeler, Andrew Wolcott, JR Bradley, Patrick Schuster,

To be honest, I wish I had a better idea on the pitchers, but I seemed to find out more about position players than I did pitchers. 

We have an early flight tomorrow, so this will be my last update until Monday most likely.  I want to quickly thank the Silver Hawks for allowing me a few days off of work to enjoy Spring Training for the first time!  I certainly wish I had more time here, but I'll take 2 1/2 days in the sun whenever I can get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment