Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Official Scorer's Unofficial Spring Training Report (Day Three)

Another zany report from official scorer Pete Yarbro on his annual trip to spring training.  This time, we add pictures!

"Pete Yarbro!" was the first thing I heard as I strolled toward one of the fields where Diamondbacks minor leaguers were getting ready to take batting practice. Occasionally, over on the minor league side someone will recognize me and say hello. Very rarely will I be greeted with such enthusiasm, however. Standing by the fence was Cal Tech Sports Information Director, Stephen Hinkle. Regulars at Coveleski Stadium will remember that before he was SID to tomorrow's leaders in science and technology, Stephen was the Silver Hawks' box office manager.

In town for several days of spring training games all over Phoenix, Stephen was quick to remind me that while all of us suffered through the winter in South Bend, he's quite happy in Pasadena, thank you very much. And while directing sports information for one of the most academically intense colleges in the world may seem daunting, every now and then your basketball team breaks a 310 game in-conference losing streak, and all of a sudden you've got some national media attention on your hands. Next thing you know, Rick Reilly's calling.

We had a chance to talk to Silver Hawks Manager Mark Haley when he got a break in the action, and Stephen wasn't chasing foul balls to make sure he had presents for family and friends when he got home. Mr. Hinkle was kind enough to present me with one of the balls he picked up. When he handed it to me, I noticed it was marked "Practice Ball --- Minor League". The minor league practice ball is the lowliest of souvenirs.


One of the more interesting things about watching minor league spring training practice is the detail to which ever part of the game is broken down. Today, during batting practice, players who weren't hitting were working with Joel Youngblood, the D'Backs baserunning and outfield coordinator. Youngblood was working with the players on their posture when getting ready to steal second base. He was showing them exactly what angle he wanted their feet. And exactly where to hold their arms to get the fastest jump toward second. One player held his arms a few inches lower than where Joel wanted them, so they worked on getting everything just exactly right. I had never really thought about that kind of detail before, but on a close play at second, a couple of inches of saved movement will mean the difference between me writing down a stolen base instead of a caught stealing in my scorebook some night in July.


On my way to my seat for this afternoon's major league game between the Colorado Rockies and the Cincinnati Reds I noticed someone hanging around the back of the press box wearing a credential from MLB Network who bore a striking resemblance to Peter Gammons. He was busy talking baseball with someone so I didn't bother him to see if he needed any tips on Midwest League prospects to keep an eye on.

The Rockies share Salt River Fields with the Diamondbacks. So on days when Arizona is playing away games, Colorado is usually here. Unfortunately, I have to report to Owen that while the Reds tied the score in the top of the ninth, they fell to a Rockies rally in the bottom of the inning, losing to the home team 3-2. The Reds' Cuban phenom, Aroldis Chapman, did have an impressive outing, pitching two innings, giving up no runs, no hits, with one strikeout and two walks. Chapman also made a couple of good defensive plays in support of his own effort.


Yesterday I mentioned that I didn't know what Modern Latin Cuisine was. Today I can tell you that what it is is delicious. What they serve at The Mission in Old Town Scottsdale isn't exactly Mexican food. There is definitely a Mexican influence, but this is far from what you would find at a traditional Mexican restaurant. I had the Chorizo Porchetta. Here's what the menu says I had: Grilled pork shoulder with chorizo, rosemary and cotija, complimented by white bean puree and sweet garlic crema. If that sounds fancy, it's because it is. And so, so good. If you're in Scottsdale, this is definitely a place you need to check out.

Tonight I'm going a little more traditional. I'm planning on making my way back to Old Town to visit the Pink Pony Steakhouse. One of my favorite places in the East Valley, and traditionally a place to see a lot of baseball people. You know, like minor league official scorers.


If you were dubious about my reporting yesterday of a pita bread vendor at Salt River Fields, well you had a right to be. After a closer look it appears that vendor is selling huge cookies. That seems much more reasonable. Today it looks like he has giant rice crispy treats instead of the iced coffee. Owen's Baseball Blog regrets the error.

Tomorrow the Diamondbacks have a night game, so in the afternoon I'm going to go to Camelback Ranch in Glendale to see the Los Angeles Dodgers take on the Texas Rangers. I have a seat in the stands right behind home plate. I hope the glare from my white legs doesn't bother the pitchers too much.

3 comments:

  1. Fancy.

    Enjoying this a lot Pete (and his esteemed editor). Hope to see you guys in a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured "Modern Latin Cuisine" was whatever the Pope's chef makes. I'm glad I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete, I just think it is so nice that the bean puree and garlic crema complimented the pork shoulder. I heard the old shoulder was feeling rather unappreciated.

    ReplyDelete