Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Protested Game Upheld (Updated May 19th)

Here's an interesting story about a game between West Michigan and Bowling Green.  I think this is the first time I've ever seen a protested game upheld.  Click the link for the full story:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110518&content_id=19229588&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

My comments:  It is my understanding that if they had thrown directly to first base while still in the play, then it would be a double play with no runs scored.  However, because it is an appeal play, the two runners count because an appeal is a different play from the ones that scored the runs.

I was wrong on my comments from last night.  The reason the runs counted is not because an appeal is a different play, but rather because it's not considered a force out at first base.  Therefore, the timing of the runs crossing the plate compared to the out at first base makes the difference.  The two runs scored before the appeal to first, thus they should have counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment