Wednesday, March 3, 2010

As If He Wasn't Rich Enough Already...

...Justin Upton is on the verge of signing a mega deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks. You will certainly remember Upton from 2006 when he was with the Silver Hawks, as an 18-year-old who had just signed a contract with a 6 million dollar signing bonus.

Apparently, the time has come to restructure the deal, and he's going to get paid a lot more money.

Before I go any farther, let me make a couple of things clear:

1) Let's not pile on Upton here. He's just living in the world of baseball and the insane contracts they sometimes pay out. If any of us were offered 6 million to sign our names to a contract, or 50+ million as an extension, we'd all sign it.

2) Many fans have said they didn't really like Upton when he was here. From everything I've been told, he needed an attitude adjustment. I've never met the guy, but I'm willing to cut him some slack. Imagine being 18 and dealing with the pressures of everything saying you are the next Ken Griffey, Jr or Willie Mays. I can forgive him if it went to his head a little bit.

3) Baseball salaries are outrageous. There, I said it. I understand that these players bring huge crowds to the ballpark, and that many owners get rich because of them. Even still, it's absurd how much money these guys make (and yes, I'm insanely jealous).

I'll let Nick Piecoro tell you why he thinks this might not be a great move for the Diamondbacks.

1 comment:

  1. I only met him a couple times when snagging autographs but I didn't notice a bad attitude or anything. I think sometimes players just have bad days like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete