Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Poll Results -- Biggest Mistake in Sports (Plus New Question)

I must have struck a nerve with my last poll question, because a ton of people voted on it.

As it turns out, the readers of this blog are basically split:
38% said adding 96 teams to the NCAA tournament would be the biggest mistake
35% think realignment in baseball would be a more costly error
12% think the BCS is a disaster
12% think not allowing NHL players into the Olympics would be horrible

Now, you do have to realize that this blog is a baseball blog (most times, ha!), so the results are skewed a bit. If I were to post this same question on a hockey blog, I'd imagine the NHL question would get more votes. Even still, amongst the baseball fans that read this blog, they still feel that expanding the NCAA tournament would be the most egregious mistake.

I have a new poll question up on the right, asking you to project which former South Bend outfielder will end up having the best MLB career. Obviously we know what Mike Cameron has done, but you have to project what you think for the other three.

5 comments:

  1. Mike vs. Justin vs. Carlos Vs. Gerardo.

    Here you have a seasoned veteran vs a sophomore vs two rooks. So you really have to compare what the 3 youngsters can do against the veteran.

    Based on stats so far, I think Justin Upton has the upper hand here. Followed my Gerardo Parra, Then Mike Cameron and then Carlos Gonzalez.

    I remember Mike Cameron hitting 4 homeruns in his first 4 at bats when he played for Seattle. I think he hit 2 in a row when a fan was heckling him (Mets at Cincinnati??) Those are some great moments but Justin, Gerardo and Carlos have their careers ahead of them.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I don't entirely disagree with you Dave, I think a lot of people will underestimate Cameron's career. While his career average is only .250, he has surpassed 20 homers in eight different seasons, and driven in 70 runs nine different times.

    If I had to project ahead (as I'm asking everyone else to do), I'd rank them like this:
    Justin Upton
    Mike Cameron
    Carlos Gonzalez
    Gerardo Parra

    And keep in mind, I'm a huge Parra fan. I'm just not sure he's going to be the superstar I once thought he would become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its hard to say who would have the upper hand, if you look at them from the stand point of when they played here. Parra and Gonzalez both had amazing arms that could launch the ball from the outfield back into the infield, like it was a walk in the park. Upton had the bat power. And Cameron, well ask anyone who saw him play here, we were kind of suprised when he made it. He was a decent player when he was here but not what anyone saw as major league potential, and well look at where he is.

    If I have to pick from the younger guys, I will have to put my backing behind Upton. Not sure if that is because of his actual potential, or because he seems to have the constent support of the Diamondbacks, and isnt being moved from team to team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owen, there's not much difference between our choices, I just have Parra ranked higher.

    Cameron has had a successful career, he is a well rounded player and speaking of homeruns lets also not overlook his stolen bases.

    Given a 15 year career, I definitely think Upton can have a better career, Carlos Gonzalez and Gerardo Parra are crap shoots but based on last year and his potential, I think Parra could have a better career.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I voted for Upton, I think that Gonzalez is going to have a fantastic career, particularly if he stays with the Rockies for a while.

    ReplyDelete