Friday, April 9, 2010

About Last Night

I typically get into work about 10 or so on gamedays, but by the time I put together stat packs and media notes, it's often after lunch before I get around to blogging again (thus, why I'm just writing this at 12:10 when I've been here for over two hours already).

Anyhow, I know that you see a 16-5 loss last night, 3 errors, 9 walks, and no hits after the second inning, and think that this team is in trouble. I'm really not all that worried.

Obviously, last night was bad. However, it's just one of 140 games to be played in the regular season. I promise you there will be other bad losses over the next six months. There will also be some blowout wins. A good baseball expression is that you are never as good as your best win, but you're never as bad as your worst loss.

Aside from the bad things listed above, there were a few encouraging things. Early on, the hitting was great, particularly going the opposite way. Despite the three errors, there were some fine defensive plays turned in (particularly the second inning play by Chris Owings and the dig out of the dirt by Bobby Stone).

The weather should be better tonight, so let's hope that the play on the field is as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment