Saturday, April 17, 2010

Greetings from Dayton

Good morning from Dayton, Ohio. We got in about 2:30 AM, and I went straight to bed (I'm assuming most everyone else did too).

Frustrated with the 0-9 start? You betcha. This team is so close to winning, but just can't get it done right now. I still think that they'll be fine, and I think it'll be fun to watch the young kids grow and get better through the course of the season.

I've watched the Silver Hawks start slow for the last five years, and in the previous four, I've watched them make the playoffs every year. Granted, this year is a different group of players, but let me tell you why I have faith:

1) Mark Haley is a good manager. You might not like his slow starts each year, but he's gotten the team to the playoffs every year he's been in charge. I know the argument that it was somewhat easier to make the playoffs in the Eastern Division the last few years, but the Silver Hawks have won a title, gone to two Midwest League Finals, and gone to three Eastern Division Finals, and lost in the first round two other times under Mark Haley. That's a solid resume anyway you slice it.

2) I've watched every pitch of 10 games (including the exhibition) for this year's club. They are talented. They are hustling. They are giving it their all. And even though I'm not an expert, a scout, or a general manager, I've seen enough baseball to know if a team is good or not. This team will be fine. (Trust me, I would tell you if they stunk on ice. They stunk the first four games! Now, they have settled down and are playing like they are capable, but they just haven't gotten over the hump yet).

One final thought: I do this blog as an enjoyable read and information source for the fans of the Silver Hawks. I allow comments on my posts because I like to provide the fans a forum to show their support for the team. However, I also moderate all the comments before publishing, and I've rejected a few over the last few days. I simply won't allow this blog to turn into a place for readers to bash players, the team, or other fans. I love fans getting involved and talking sports, but I'm not going to let this blog be a forum for idiotic comments that are fueled on nothing more than sour grapes or a lack of knowledge.

Most of you enjoy this blog for what it is, and I appreciate the large number of you that visit here daily (or multiple times per day). I won't let a few others ruin it for everyone else.

Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Great Post Owen! GO HAWKS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think once they can get some luck, and the batting order just right, they will be winning, and winning well. They have the base runners, but the hits just don't fall right in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this team is anything like the 2008 team, we will be in for an exciting 2nd half.

    Right now I'm keeping my eye on Mike Belfiore and Keny Sosa. While I've heard good things about Belfiore, I've seen Keny pitch and his mechanics look good.

    I've also mentioned to keep an eye out for Jacob Turner (SP) of the West Michigan White Caps. I saw him pitch in spring training and he was awesome.

    Enjoy the games, no sour grapes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I forgot to mention Aroldis Chapman! Had another good outing going 5 innings, giving up 1 run but had some control issues. He's another player to watch this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for keeping it postitive. It seems the team gets better with each game. Looking forward to the first win - but no matter - this team is playing with heart. Thanks, Owen, and keep up the great job.

    ReplyDelete