Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Crohn's Walk at the Cove

This blog is 99.9% about baseball and that's exactly what it's supposed to be about. However, although rare, there are a few things that are more important to me than baseball. This post is about one of those things and I appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to discuss it here.

When I was in junior high, I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. It's an incurable inflammatory bowel disease, and at times, it can make life completely miserable. I ended up having surgery when I was 15 years old, and that bought me about 9 years of relatively "normal" living. Unfortunately, the disease came back with a vengeance a few years back, and I currently take 10 pills a day and undergo regular tests to try to keep it under control. Never knowing how your stomach is going to react to food makes sitting for 3+ hours every night for a broadcast a rather trying experience to say the least.

Later this summer, I will be walking as part of the 2010 Take Steps for Crohn's and Colitis at Coveleski Stadium. I contacted the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) last fall, and volunteered to have the walk at the Cove this summer on June 19th.

If this disease has affected you or someone close to you, please feel free to join me in the walk at the Cove. You can read my story here: http://online.ccfa.org/goto/owenserey (Read the detailed entry at the bottom of the page). From that page, you can also find links on the left side to join in the walk. You can email me at oserey@silverhawks.com for more information.

Also, you can donate to me under the red thermometer on the left side of the page where it says "Make a Gift". Your financial support is appreciated, but certainly don't feel obligated.

Thanks again for allowing me the opportunity to promote this event that means so much to me. Back to the baseball posts on Thursday late morning/afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment