Sunday, May 24, 2009

Photos From Peoria - Part Three


The Bradley University Braves play games at O'Brien Field as well, and this is an area on the concourse devoted to the team. The most famous Bradley alum is probably Kirby Puckett, and his number is retired and hanging on the outfield wall. Peoria has really done a nice job including a number of former Bradley players, including those that have played in the majors and minors, in this area.


This is a statue behind home plate of Chiefs owner Pete Vonachen giving a baseball to a young fan. Vonachen is in the Peoria Baseball Hall of Fame, and has won numerous awards for his work in minor league baseball. I had a chance to meet him during an inning break last night, and it was a pleasure to talk with him. Pete's son Rocky runs the team now, but you can tell that Pete really has had a tremendous impact on the Chiefs and their relationship with the Peoria community.


A nice touch at the ballpark is that they covered all the concrete support pillars with former Peoria players who have gone on to play in the majors. I didn't take pictures of all of them, but I couldn't resist taking this one, since it features two of my favorite players from my childhood. I think deep down, I wanted to be a speedy centerfielder like Devon White and Jerome Walton. Instead, I was a second baseman.


For anyone who grew up watching Cubs baseball on WGN during the daytime hours, you'll know why I took this photo. These guys were awesome. I have always been a lifelong Reds fan, but again, with the Cubs games on during the day all the time, I have a special place in my heart for the Cubs of the late 80's and early 90's. Too bad I can't stand the Cubs anymore. Joe Girardi now manages the Yankees, while Mark Grace is a commentator for the Diamondbacks.


The stadium, from centerfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment