Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wow!

Heck of a comeback for the Silver Hawks tonight. Trailing 3-0 entering the eighth inning, the Silver Hawks scored one in the eighth and then six big ones in the ninth to win 7-3. Alberto Diaz the hero of the game with a two-out grand slam to take a 3-2 deficit to a 6-3 lead.

Many of you may not realize that part of my job is to write a game story each night, that is sent to the local media and put on http://www.silverhawks.com/. Like most newspaper writers, I work on the story during the game, so that I can get it sent out and published ASAP after the game, particularly when we are in the Central Time Zone, because I want to get the story to the TV sports guys before they have to give their nightly report.

There are two main problems with this:

1) It's very difficult to write a good story when you are trying to type it during 90-second commercial breaks between innings, while still adding up pitch counts and dealing with pitching changes, etc.

2) When something happens late in the ballgame, it can totally mess up the story you have written.

I have never been so happy to highlight an entire story I've written and click the "delete" key as I was tonight. I will glady rewrite a story every night if it means that the Silver Hawks end up winning the game.

Your thoughts on the game? Did you listen? Had you given up hope? Comment below....and if you are going to admit to giving up hope, you might want to take advantage of the anonymous commenting. HA HA. It's okay, we'll still welcome you as fans even if you felt that tonight's game had slipped away. It's an important lesson on never giving up on this team.

4 comments:

  1. I was listening to the game and when the bottom of the 8th ended and the hawks were down 3-1 i gave up hope. I closed off the radio broadcast and went about my business. I came back to the computer a few hours later and just went ahead and checked the score and i couldnt believe when i saw the final score was 7-3. unbelievable! and i missed it!! i cant believe i missed a great comeback like this one tonight! Go Hawks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar story here. I had my radio on as I was working in the backyard. I finished up my work and took my kids inside for baths just as you were coming back from commercial in the top of the 9th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I on the other hand turned on the radio, wondering if the Silver Hawks game was still on. It was! It was the end of the 8th, going into the 9th. Hearing the Hawks were down 3-1 made me think of the last few seasons. Will this team be a 2nd half team?

    A Double, a run scoring double, an out, a walk, wondering if this team was going to make it interesting, a walk (((INTERESTING))) Alberto Diaz at the plate.. LONG FLY BALL DEEP, GOING BACK, GRAND SALAMI!

    My wife hit the kitchen counter as I enjoyed the moment. What an amazing comeback!

    It makes things rough when you have to re-write the story at the top of the 9th but even after the homerun, there was a walk or two to extend that inning. :-)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was listening on my computer, when I heard Diaz hit a Gand Slam, I jumped up and hollered. The wife was sleeping on the couch. I woke her up!

    It's always good to beat Kane County!

    ReplyDelete