Sunday, April 5, 2009

Opening Night

It's Opening Night for Major League Baseball, although I'm still not a big fan of ESPN's game on Sunday night before the rest of the league opens Monday. I'm from the greater Cincinnati area, and the tradition was always that the Reds played the first game of the year since they were the first professional baseball team. Now granted the Reds have the first game tomorrow, but it's just not the same for lifelong Reds fan like me.

Enough about the Majors, let's talk Minor League Baseball, and more specifically, the South Bend Silver Hawks.

You'll see in the post below, I've listed the projected Opening Day roster. This can all change up until Thursday's opener, but those are the players who have apparently made the trip northeast from Tucson.

Being new to the Silver Hawks, and by extension, the Diamondbacks organization, I am like each of you in that I have a lot to learn about these guys. There are some players selected in the first ten rounds of the draft, and there are some guys who were late round draft picks -- or not even drafted at all. It's always interesting to see how 25 come together as one throughout the course of the season.

I'll meet all of the players tomorrow, so I'll try to post some interesting stuff tomorrow night when I get a chance. The next few days will be incredibly busy for players and staff alike, but I'll post some tidbits about the team from time to time.

A reminder: Your first stop for team information (tickets, promotions) and game results should always be http://www.silverhawks.com/. This blog will be for more behind-the-scenes info, and supplemental coverage. And of course, for the first time in a long time, you can listen to the games on 1490 ESPN Radio or online at http://www.silverhawks.com/.

Enjoy Major League Opening Day tomorrow, and pray for weather forecasts to start improving soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment