Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Playing By The Rules

I expressed my frustration on the air, and I know the fans at the Cove were frustrated too. I'm sure listening at home, you were hoping that Wade Miley would be able to pitch the final two innings tonight, in a bid for a perfect game (he was perfect through 5 when he was removed).

However, I've mentioned it a number of times on the air and on this blog, that the ultimate goal is not to win a championship or achieve individual accolades at this level. Ultimately, the Diamondbacks want to develop players that will help at the Major League level in a few years. Winning in South Bend becomes secondary to player development.

It has also been determined by the D'Backs that 120-130 innings per season will be the maximum at this level, and do that, they must limit certain guys at certain parts of the season. Unfortunately, that is what everyone has to live with...whether a perfect game is on the line or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment